#1 17-10-2010 15:13:52

Richard Flutter
Harwich Runner

Wix 5 2010

Well done Gary and co for a really well run event,and all the feedback i heard was "great course,well marshalled and will run again next year"...
Also well done to all rob for a great time and all the others on there runs,i think most of us PB'd again!!! smilesmile

#2 17-10-2010 17:54:24

Becky McCorquodale
Harwich Runner

Re: Wix 5 2010

Yep, well done Gary and anyone else involved in organising today. Really stepped up to the challenge of hosting the event as a county championship race, with the bigger entry it brings! A good sign that the race is going to host the county champs again in 2012, too smile

It was a pleasure to be out there marshalling today (although I would have preferred to be racing it tongue)-great to see so many storming runs from the black and whites. Congratulations to Brian, Elspeth and Ann on their county medals, and a further well done must surely go to Elspeth for being the first Harwich woman to ever achieve a gold standard class 1!! And there are very few men in the club who have ever managed that either, which really puts it into perspective. Inspirational stuff...

#3 17-10-2010 18:01:03

Terry Smith

Yes i echo those thoughts a great race and well organised  but perhaps next yr Gary if there is a crosswind on the Oakley Rd we could have some temporary fencing as my legs hurt along that bit smile

Eltel

#4 18-10-2010 14:55:58

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Sure Terry. I'll arrange to put Stevie K there as a marshal for you! Seriously though Graeme and I would thank everyone who turned out on a cold, autumnal day yesterday. The race was almost full with nearly 340 runners registered and, in the event, our largest ever field of 295 runners completed the race with the usual wonderful support from our marshals encouraging them round the course.

Harwich certainly showed its current strength in depth in being able to field 39 runners as well as being able to call upon a fantastic number of volunteers to ensure the event ran, as ever, like clockwork. There were some brilliant performances too, clearly benefitting from the new, faster, start: from Rob’s utterly incredible 26:50 to Elspeth winning her age category and that gold standard and Ann P and Brian H their county medals. A personal highlight for me was seeing the smiles on Steve K's and Angela P's faces when they told me about their superb PBs yesterday. Worth all the effort alone. Oh and Russell, of course, managed his 18th consecutive personal best which is an amazing achievement. I, personally, cannot wait to hear Peter’s report tomorrow at club night – it should be a real treat.

So a well done to those of you who ran and, if you didn’t, a massive, HUGE thank you for marshalling, for helping out at the village hall and kitchen, in the finish area with results, medals and freebies, pouring out the free teas, for providing so MANY cakes, for washing-up and clearing away at the end and the myriad of other, different, ways that ensure things go so smoothly. The club more than proved it was able to cope with running one of the key road races of the year in Essex.

Events like yesterday don’t happen by magic…but I do feel we again proved that there is a bit of magic running through our wonderful little club. Hope you enjoyed another proud and great day to be a Harwich Runner – the best little running club in the world. No ‘probably’ about it.

Cheers

Gaz

#5 18-10-2010 15:05:44

Gary Donoghue
Harwich Runner

Lots of positive comments coming in about the new start as well. Definitely worth the days of effort to get the course remeasured and sort the road closure out. Lots of races don't bother with this last aspect but, for Wix, I think it is absolutely crucial. Feedback from the Parish Council this morning is that they were very happy with the way the race went and that they will look forward to seeing us back again in 2011 wink

Cheers

Gaz

Last edited by Gary Donoghue (18-10-2010 15:06:23)

Board footer